Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Importance of Mezuzah

This is the Shema prayer; the one that is contained inside the Mezuzah
Mezuzah is Jewish for “door post” but it means the little boxes that Jews place on the door posts of their homes that contains the prayer.


In the Torah, God commands the Jewish people to hang mezuzot on their doorposts. Two Torah portions, Shema and Vehaya, include the verse: "And you shall inscribe these words upon the doorposts of your house and upon your gates."
The Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4-9) begins with "Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One." The Shema reminds us that God is always present in our lives, and that we should keep God's words constantly in our minds and in our hearts. The Shema tells us that one way to do this is by writing them on the doorposts of our house. Vehaya (Deuteronomy 11:13-21) assures us of God's compensation if we fulfill his commandments (mitzvot).
 


 
This first day -  which I actually managed to take a pic of – dark wash skinny jeans (American Eagle Outfitters), grey long sleeve shirt(old Old Navy), and a beautiful ¾ sleeve cropped hunter green chunky cable knit sweater that I scored for 50% off from LOFT by Ann Taylor, and cognac boots.

I threw Dubrovnik some love with the Kuzek tote bag that I purchased while I was there over the Summer.
Here are some photos of what I found most touching:
This is a quote from Rev Martin Niemmoeller

A map of the camps. FYI you can't even see them all from this photo. I had to back up WAY too far to get the whole thing.

These two were reunited/ met in a Displaced Persons Camp after WWII and camp liberation

This is a poem written by a survivor who lives in Atlanta. It was written during the war. A moving and portral of fear.

 I never take pictures of persons being murdered for personal reasons. Aside from that, I do not feel that it is all that proper to the memory of the dead. For it to be exhibited in a museum for people to understand the gravity of the actions that were carried out in WWII, I find it almost necessary. I cry every time that I get to that part of WWII Holocaust museums. I cannot control myself. It is so heart wrenching for me to see the smiles on the Einsatzgrueppen’s faces while they malicious and unreasonably murder and massacre innocent persons. The fear that races in the victims’ eyes; this I cannot stand.
In the Holocaust class that I took over this past semester with Dr. Gellately, he said to us something that I agree with: “War liberates a people like liberty cannot.” In war time, certain new “freedoms” and powers are granted to different persons. In what peace-time country would the annihilation of the Jewish population be allowed? None. Not really. Granted there are things that have happened in peace-time countries, Pogroms, but nothing like the systematic murder of the Jews. It is truly shocking the things that happen.
 If you find yourself incapable of reading a whole book about it, try Maus,the comic book by Art Spiegelman. I highly recommend it. It’s a true story about his father. His father and his mother survived the Holocaust.
I also highly recommend the museum. Not only does one gain the enlightenment of the Holocaust, one is also able to see inside Jewish life, especially that of the Atlanta Jewish population.
For dinner we went to Truva on 60 International Andrew BLVD. If ever you are in Atlanta, go! It was SOOOOO good and very similar to some of the foods that I ate while I was in Bosnia i Herzegovina and Croatia. Being a Turkish restaurant, they have Turkish nationals. Our waiter was AWESOME!!! He was born in Bosnia and then grew up from the age of five onward in Turkey. I assume it was because of the Balkan war of the 90’s, but I didn’t ask. He spoke so highly of Istanbul! I am so excited about visiting there someday soon!
Here’s what I ate:

chicken breast stuffed with rice and pistachios and dates with a Tarragon sauce
Our waiter informed me that it was a palace dish in Turkey and was reserved for the Princess. I loved hearing the story behind the DELICIOUS meal that I had. My daddy and I shared this weird cheese dessert that is a very traditional dessert of Turkey. It was unbelievable! I can’t wait to go back and try something else from their menu! Yummy!!!
AND it did NOT escape that Kim Jong Il died yesterday. P.S. pray for N. Korea.
On our way back from Dinner we found some interesting art along the way...


Why someone would make stickers of this, I don't know. But, it gave us a good laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment