Sunday, November 6, 2011

What Fashion Stores Really Tell Us.

I love clothes. I love shopping for clothes. But more oft, I find it frustrating and sometimes degrading to my self-esteem.

Clothing stores - at least the ones that have the fashion that I like the most like UO, Zara, H&M, etc, etc. - tell me that unless I am a size 12, I don't belong in their stores.

Take Zara for example. A blog that I follow (http://the-other-emily.blogspot.com/) got me interested in the store and I went online today to see what they had. I loved loved loved their jeans... but I could only have them if I were a size 12. Otherwise I was left with one option: these ugly acid wash straight leg jeans...

It's moments like these that I feel like an absolute outsider. Like I am some how not good enough to wear their clothes.
And then it occured to me: Fashion stores are like elite clubs. Only if you're good enough can you get in.
I don't know. Maybe I'm being too sensitive... maybe I'm feeling vulnerable from years of being picked on and feeling fat.

But I still feel that fashion is the ultimate hypocrite. It tells women to be strong, fun, fearless, and sexy. And at the same time tells women that if they aren't thin enough, rich enough, pretty enough, or resemble people that were just liberated from a death camp then you can't be all of the things that fashion is trying to teach you to be.

Total FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment