Friday, July 15, 2011

Dear World, Could you please stop being so breathtaking?

This is Dubrovnik from the Airport Shuttle bus window. This was my first view of the city that I was about to fall in love with. Even through the haze of a dirty window, it's a breathtaking city.  It was Sunday there; Monday here.
I tear just looking at this gorgeous city and thinking that I was there, that I have people that I left behind there... it's gut wrenching right now becuase I am unsure of when I will return to see them. There is Facebook, but once someone is friended, do we ever move past the acccept button? Still, it is lovely to know that I can contact them.

The conference enhanced the whole of the experience. I would say that it was like an intense tour from a classroom. I was able to absorb all of the amazing facts about the war and the current political situation and then apply that to the cityscape.

The worst thing about the city were the mass amounts of cruise boat tourists that were there to only buy from the "Made in China" shops on the Stradun, eat gilatto, speak only English, go swimming, and then leave at the end of the day. They were incapable of experiencing what I experienced. I had the true Dubrovnik at my disposal, they had the Stradun. I got lost in the streets, discovered new places, and purchased only "Made in Dubrovnik, Croatia."

If ever you make it to Dubrovnik, please do me one little favor: Stay longer than a day. Explore the surrounding regions!!! It's a place that you will cry for when your plane takes off to fly you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment